On Thursday, May 28, 2020 11:59:41 PM MST Remi Collet wrote:
> Le 29/05/2020 à 06:15, John M. Harris Jr a écrit :
>
> > Please do not drop mod_php. It is NOT the case that "php-fpm is already
> > used  but most users of httpd and nginx without any issue."
>

> php-fpm is the default configuration for httpd and nginx for few versions
>
> nginx ONLY uses php-fpm
>
> mod_php is httpd only and prefork mode only
> so without threaded MPM and without http2 support
>
> Please describe issues, I don't have any bug report about this.
>
> Remi

Yes, nginx only uses php-fpm. But that has nothing to do with mod_php.

The default doesn't matter, there's absolutely no reason to take away the
sysadmin's choice here. There are at least 40 servers I personally am
responsible for where I see no reason to move from mod_php to php-fpm, for
example. If you don't want to maintain it, I'd be happy to do so. Many third
party packages expect mod_php, and nearly all documentation for configuring
httpd for Fedora, CentOS and RHEL goes through the use of mod_php. There is
just no reason to break this. People who want php-fpm will stick with it, and
others will continue to use mod_php as we have for the last decade+. Many
servers do not need http2, or other new features. Many of us have something
that works, and we'd like to keep it working.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity