On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 9:56 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> I am opposed to this change. Chromium and Firefox build fine with GCC. I
> think that a distribution should be built with a consistent toolchain
> wherever possible.

Kevin, that's not true at all. Maybe it looks like it builds fine for you,
because all the fixes get to you, but I as a co-maintainer of Chromium in
Fedora and ex-maintainer of Chromium in RHEL can say that most of the time
I spent fixing GCC problems. Just look at the current SPEC file and search
for gcc there.. There are several gcc related bugs -
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/chromium/blob/master/f/chromium.spec. Or
even better look at
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=819294 where the GCC
related patches are tracked. In the end I realized that I really don't have
time to fix all the time some GCC related issues so I moved the RHEL 6
Chromium package to use clang to save some of my time so I could devote it
somewhere else.

Bye,
Tom