On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:10:20PM +0200, Tomas Orsava wrote:
> Hi,
> I think it would be useful to have a standard way of disabling the
> running of tests during RPM build (in the %check section of a spec
> file).
>
> I see a lot of packages already having %bcond's or other macro
> definitions to archieve this, but each package has their own way,
> there's no real standard. Thus you have to first look into the spec,
> locate the appropriate %bcond or macro name and only then you can
> disable the tests.
>
> I would like to propose two approaches:
>
> (a) Add a *SHOULD* rule to the guidelines that specifies what is the
> preferred way to conditionalize the tests.
>
> (b) Or, if that's too strong, mention in the guidelines the common
> methods that are being used (e.g. %bcond tests and %bcond check) so
> that new packagers have something to use.

What's the motivation for disabling tests globally?

I have some packages where tests fail on particular architectures at
particular times, and what I do there is (a) file a BZ (b) surround
the %check section with %ifarch/%ifnarch and a comment linking to the
bug, and this seems to me a practical and lightweight approach that
requires no special support in the toolchain.

Also rpmbuild itself can happily disable tests, just add the --nocheck
flag.

Rich.