On Friday, June 5, 2020 12:12:40 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 1:07 PM John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Friday, June 5, 2020 11:48:14 AM MST Chris Murphy wrote:

> > > Default new installations, yes. No disk-based swap partition.
> > >

> > > For upgrades, there's no mechanism to remove an existing
> > > swap-on-drive. And the installer will still permit swap-on-drive being
> > > added in custom partitioning. Both of these paths results in two swap
> > > devices.
> > >

> > > We could ask Anaconda, if a custom installation creates swap-on-disk,
> > > to remove /etc/systemd/zram-generator.conf. And in that case, users
> > > will not get swap-on-zram. And we could also forgo the change being
> > > applied on upgrades.
> >

> > It may be best to respect the user's decision, and not add a zram device
> > on upgraded systems. This would lead to less unexpected behavior. I'd
> > support that, for sure :)
>

> Contra argument: It also leads to fragmentation of the user base. Most
> users use a distribution because they trust the decisions. And while
> it is only a preference, not a policy the Workstation Product
> Requirements Document says  "Upgrading the system multiple times
> through the upgrade process should give a result that is the same as
> an original install of Fedora Workstation."
>
> There is a balancing act here that should be considered because a
> large percent of Fedora users upgrade rather than reprovision. It
> might even be the majority case.

Well, that's for the GNOME stuff. This is a system-wide change proposal, is it
not? Additionally, you could still be meeting that requirement here, as a new
install with the same options selected, that is, to have a swap partition,
would disable the zram device. That'd be a nice middleground for users like
myself that don't have enough RAM to waste on a zram device. I'm writing this
email on a Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Tablet with 6 GiB of RAM, where giving half of
my RAM to zram would kill my system's performance, if not quickly cause OOM.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.