On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 1:26 PM Luya Tshimbalanga <l...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Tested on HP Envy x360 Convertible Ryzen 2500u with 16 GB RAM and 1TB
> SSD on Fedora 32 Design Suite.
>
> Following the procedure to install zram-generator setting memory
> allocation to 0.50 (or 50%) and commenting out "resume=UUID" line on
> fstab and kernel parameter on boot via grubby, the allocated 14 GB RAM
> Swap partition from the installer is deleted.
>
> zram-swap service is manually disabled via systemctl so the system only
> use zram service.

zram-generator has no service unit file at all. The zram.service unit
file is part of Anaconda.

> After reboot here is the observation
>
> --
>
> zram-setup@zram0.service - Setup zram based device zram0
>       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zram-setup@.service;
> static; vendor preset: disabled)
>       Active: active (exited) since Sun 2020-06-07 10:11:20 PDT; 1h
> 31min ago
>      Process: 809 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c echo $ZRAM_NUM_STR >
> /sys/class/block/zram0/max_comp_streams (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>      Process: 813 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c echo $ZRAM_DEV_SIZE >
> /sys/class/block/zram0/disksize (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>      Process: 815 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c [ "$SWAP" = "y" ] && mkswap
> /dev/zram0 && swapon /dev/zram0 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>     Main PID: 815 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>          CPU: 9ms

I'm not sure whose service this is but I don't have it.

This service is not permanent it's created by the generator, and is
the only service unit I see.
Jun 03 00:47:53 flap.local systemd[1]: swap-create@zram0.service: Succeeded.

> I  don't know the cause of failure on the process although the zram0
> seems ok. I would like a pointer to address those minor issues.

Conflicting implementations. I recommend removing both anaconda and
zram packages. Keep zram-generator package.

> zramctl
> NAME       ALGORITHM DISKSIZE DATA COMPR TOTAL STREAMS MOUNTPOINT
> /dev/zram0 lzo-rle       7.3G   4K   74B   12K       8 [SWAP]
>
> swapon
> NAME       TYPE      SIZE USED PRIO
> /dev/zram0 partition 7.3G   0B   -2

Looks good.

> Is "resume=UUID" necessary for the boot parameter? I removed it as it
> cause longer delay on boot and the swap partition is deleted.

It's no longer needed. This is a hibernation hint. If you have no need
for hibernation, you can remove it. If you have disabled/removed the
disk based swap partition/LV then you can also remove this resume
hint, because you can't hibernate anyway.

> I noticed a more responsive system compared with the traditional setting
> with swap partition. Suspend is working as intended despite a slight
> flashing display on resume (which could be from the driver i.e. amdgpu
> in this case).
>
> Overall, the proposal makes sense with the real test done on both ARM
> devices like Android and Chromebook in addition of Anacona. It will be
> great to get accepted.

Cool!

--
Chris Murphy