On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:16:33AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:08 AM Martin Jackson <mhja...@swbell.net> wrote:
>

> > I use flatpaks on Fedora (Discord and okular), and I've really enjoyed
> > the experience with them.  I'm not sure how well that would translate to
> > the server environment though, but that general approach seems to do a
> > good job of preserving user experience while isolating potentially
> > troublesome conflicts in a way that doesn't mess up the "base system".
> >

> I love how people hold up "containers" as a solution to these problems
> without considering for a moment how exactly the container itself gets
> built. If you were to look into the flatpak build system in Fedora,
> you'd see that they are using Modularity to construct them.
>
> One of the reasons for Modularity is that we agree that containers are
> one "right" way to handle parallel-installability. But we also know
> from past experience (SCLs) that having content in unusual locations
> like /opt means that applications have to be modified. By using
> modules to put the version of software you want into the standard
> location and then using a container to isolate it and/or provide
> parallel-installability, you also get the assurance of knowing the the
> content in your container is just as trusted as your standard RPM
> deployments.

IIUC from the docs, when using Modularity to build Flatpaks, the
prefix is changed to /app instead of /usr, which makes it much
closers to SCL:

   https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/flatpak/concepts/

When I looked a packaging my Entangle application as a Flatpak though,
I ended up picking Flathub instead of Fedora. That felt like a simpler
approach than using modularity, as it eliminates the intermediate RPM
packaging step which isn't really relevant to the end result. It is a
quicker code, build, test cycle if you can build from upstream sources
straight into the flatpak root in one go, especially if testing locally
outside the build system.

Regards,
Daniel