On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 2:54 PM David Cantrell <dcantr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:44:39AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >Hopefully that provides some context and helps FESCo and the wider
> >community understand where Red Hat is headed with modularity on the
> >Enterprise side.
>
> Around the idea and concept of modularity... what are the benefits to Fedora,
> Fedora developers, and Fedora contributors?  Through the various discussions
> on modularity, nothing solid in this regard has been presented.  If I am
> Fedora contributor now, what can modularity do for me?
>
> Most of the remainder of this thread talks about the problems with the
> implementation as it exists today and problems with other known options.
> Putting that aside for now, why should Fedora contributors care about
> modularity?
>
> Put another way, what does the developer experience look like for modularity?

These are good questions, but I feel like there has been about 2+
years of discussion and debate about what Fedora could get out of
modularity.  I'm not sure I have anything to offer that is directly
new or better.  I do think that ELN presents a new opportunity for
those that have already found value in the Fedora community to use and
improve it there in the absence of widespread Fedora adoption.
Perhaps that would allow a place for the ideas to grow and could prove
to be illustrative.

At any rate, my goal isn't to evangelize or convert Fedora to suddenly
embrace modularity wholescale.  I am simply offering clarity on the
plans for RHEL 9 with this technology.

josh