On 06/22/2020 10:14 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:51 AM Tom Stellard <tstel...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/20/2020 11:20 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:

>>> I think I'd be more comfortable with making all "make %{?_smp_mflags}"
>>> calls switch to "%make_build" and leaving the rest alone.
>>>

>> Is this because you are concerned about build failures caused by
>> enabling parallel builds for packages that aren't currently using
>> that?
>>

> Yes, and because Make is often used for non-compilation things and
> those aren't necessarily multi-threaded, and passing mflags there can
> break things.

If replacing 'make %{?_smp_mflags}' with %make_build is the only change
that is done, then I don't think this change proposal would be worth
doing.  This would eliminate one of the benefits (increased build parallelism),
and also not help that much with the other stated benefit of enforcing
consistent build flag usage, since many packages would sill be using just
'make'.

Another possible solution to the issues you raise would be to restrict the
scope of this proposal to only make 'build', check, and install targets.

-Tom