On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, at 4:03 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Ian McInerney <ian.s.mciner...@ieee.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> ...snip...
> >> == Scope ==
> >> * Proposal owners:
> >> ** Modify comps to include nano Fedora wide.
> >> ** Create a new subpackage of <code>nano</code>, called
> >> <code>nano-editor</code>.
> >> ** <code>nano-editor</code> to include
> >> <code>/usr/lib/environment.d/10-nano.conf</code>, which sets
> >>
> >> With this approach, if <code>nano</code> is uninstalled, the
> >> configuration will be removed with it. At the same time, installing
> >> nano on its own won't install the conf.
> >>

> > Are you sure this will work? I just ran a test, and putting a new config
> > file inside /usr/lib/environment.d only works for Gnome, and doesn't work
> > for Mate, Cinnamon or SSH (tested by opening a terminal in the respective
> > session and examining the environment variables). From what I gather in
> > [1], systemd is not a standard way of interacting with the user's
> > environment variables, and only Gnome has decided to use it. So this method
> > of implementing this change seems to be making the default editor for Gnome
> > be nano and not changing the defaults for anyone else.
> >

> We might want to do this as a profile.d snippet for all the major
> shells: bash/ksh, zsh, csh, and fish. That should work basically
> everywhere, afaik.

I'd be -1 on the change, but if it's going to happen anyway, it should
absolutely be done via an /etc/profile.d entry.  Most likely would be
sufficient to have /etc/profile.d/nano.{sh,csh} to cover most or all the shells
out there, IIUC.  I'd have never looked for this in /usr/lib/environment.d --
in fact, today is the first time I'd heard of this directory!

V/r,
James Cassell