On 6/25/20 12:58 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that serious developers are
unable/unwilling to set their own choice of EDITOR. A systemwide
default EDITOR=nano shouldn't cause them any real difficulty.

I second that. I'm the guy who gets annoyed at non-vi editors because I tend to fill files in them with hjkl's due to muscle memory of 40 years of vi usage. You'll pull vi out of my cold dead hands. I'm still quite capable of setting  $EDITOR in my own startup files. Pretty much anyone that has figured out and prefers vi (or emacs or whatever) knows how to set $EDITOR.

bob