On Monday, June 29, 2020 12:58:30 AM MST Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 01:32:41PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
*snip*
> > - Mask/disable systemd-homed
>

> Doesn't do anything unless you create some users with homectl.

There's no reason for it to be there, wasting resources.

> > - Mask/disable systemd-userdb
>

> That's just a proxy service to provide user records as json. On its
> own it doesn't really do much.

That's awful, and the above applies there as well.

> > - Mask/disable systemd-sysusers
>

> Well, various packages make use of systemd-sysusers so if you disable
> systemd-sysusers, they won't get a user created and will likely not
> work. Also doesn't do anything if there's no configuration. But knock
> yourself out.

I don't think that's the case, since that Change required that `useradd` (or
was it `adduser`?) be used. It'd be worth a try to remove the systemd bloat.

> > - Mask/disable systemd-repart
>

> Doesn't do anything unless you provide a configuration file.

So it has no reason to be there.

> > - Mask/disable systemd-resolved
>

> That's trivially disabled. The Change page lists a few mechanisms.

It's one of the many things in this list. Each one may be "trivially
disabled", but it all adds up.

> > - Mask/disable systemd-networkd
>

> Doesn't do anything unless you provide configuration files.

And, so, it shouldn't be there, wasting resources.

> > - Mask/disable systemd-timesyncd
>

> Chrony is the default choice in Fedora, so until you uninstall chrony
> and enable timesyncd, you're safe.

Same as above, it's unnecessary bloat.

> > - Disable systemd-xdg-autostart-generator
>

> That's a mechanism for gnome and kde to spawn apps. Right now it's not
> used yet, but it might in the future... I guess your best bet is not
> to use gnome or kde. TWM would be a safe choice ;)

systemd has no place doing the DE's job. That's why I have a DE, instead of
systemdOS. :)

> > - Remove the privacy anti-feature of using Google DNS when none are
> > configured
>
> In general people seem to prefer to have a functional network without
> manual configuration. So we want to pick *some* default. Google DNS
> seems to be not better or worse than other major providers. But if
> you'd rather prefer to have no DNS if none is configured, it's still a
> one line config to "fix" the issue.

Generally, if there are no configured servers, people expect that.. there are
no DNS servers in use. That's how it should be. I don't expect the system to
outright subvert my intentions to run off to Google, and I'm sure others don't
either. See the systemd-resolved Change "proposal" thread for more information
on that.

> > - Disable fstrim.timer
> > - Disable EarlyOOM
> > - Not set a default EDITOR
>

> All those are trivially done with a single command or one-line file.

That'd be the purpose of the Spin, so that users don't have to keep track of
all of the things that need to be fixed.

> > - Have no modular repos by default
>

> This one will soon be trivially done with a single command.

Yes, and that'll make it all the more simple to add it as an excluded package
in the Spin's kickstart! ;)

> > - Not use btrfs or XFS as the default filesystem
>

> Pick a different default when installing...

Hey, that's my line! Seriously though, that wasn't really a fair thing for me
to write. At the time, I was of the attitude of "I don't really care if it
breaks users' systems", and to "let those folks make a mockery of Fedora with
that default".

Sure, folks who are in the know will pick their own partitioning scheme and
filesystems of choice. However, that doesn't solve the UX of a new user.

> > From this list, I know it might look like I'm calling out systemd. Well,
> > that's just because it's become so bloated.
>

> I'd say "useful", but that's just words. Anyway, each of the items on
> this list can be easily disabled. I guess you could provide a simple rpm
> in a copr repo somewhere that does this.

I don't see why it'd need to be copr, I actually like mattdm's suggestion
above. Some of these may need a bit more consideration, such as sysusers, but
it'd have a lot of value to Fedora users.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.