On Fri, Jul 10, 2020, 6:07 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de>
wrote:

> On Fr, 10.07.20 06:50, Neal Gompa (ngomp...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 6:45 AM Marek Suchánek <msuch...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any mention of Silverblue in the Btrfs discussions.
> Will Silverblue also switch to Btrfs if the change is approved?
> > >
> > > I've tested installing Silverblue 32 and Rawhide with the default
> Btrfs partitioning suggested by Anaconda, and in both cases the system
> failed to boot after installation. It couldn't mount the Btrfs subvolumes.
> > >
> > > Is that a known issue or should I report it as a bug?
> > >

> > The expectation is that Silverblue will follow along with Workstation,
> > yes. We do know about the bug and have a fix proposed to Anaconda:
> > https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/2720
>
> Instead of passing this in each time on the kernel cmdline, maybe just
> use "btrfs subvol set-default" to se the default subvolume to mount,
> after mkfs.
>
> That makes things a lot more robust, as btrfs will then just work like
> any other fs even if you insert the root subvol in between like
> anaconda apparently does.
>
> I think there's big value in allowing short kernel cmdlines that are
> as similar as possible everywhere, instead of blowing it up with
> different switches for every single case.

I agree with all of the above, but there is a contra argument. There is
something to be said about having an understandable system, one that self
describes how it's assembled, and boots. Changing the default subvolume
obscures this, and now one of the "connect the dots" steps of boot becomes
a dot on a completely different page in another book.

Therefore I'm not certain.

--
Chris Murphy