> The most
> common value I've found over a long period of time, for swap without
> hibernation is 50% of RAM.

With low RAM (2G) it's easy to use swap on zram with disksize = 150%
MemTotal with opening browsers.

50% maybe OK with MemTotal=8G.

> I'd like to hear from Alexey what he thinks about further reducing the
> values in earlyoom versus possibly raising the cap in
> zram-generator-defaults.

It may be OK to reduce mem cap to 200 MiB. This threshold also can work
well and may be sufficient to prevent freezing.

I would suggest to increase zram disksize caps up to 75% and maybe to 6GB.