On Mo, 27.07.20 18:24, Tomasz Kłoczko (kloczko.tom...@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 18:00, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
> [..]
>
> > + btrfs driver is now built-in to the kernel, rather than as a module
> >

> Classic .. from frying pan to open fire.
>
> Why the heck dist kernel cannot be without ANY fs support? I've been using
> such a kernel (sic!) 15y ago !!!

To make things more robust and for things to work without an initrd,
and because its a bit faster too if it's a module we are very likely
to load anyway...

I am pretty sure we should build-in all modules that are highly likely
to be used in common installs (and i am pretty sure a file system we
use per default qualifies).

> Why is it still automonter hardcoded into the kernel even if it is
> completely useless on a typical single workstation?

binfmt_misc is mounted with that by default.

And systemd will mount the ESP and the boot loader partition with the
automounter by default, so that it's only mounted on access and
quickly unmounted again afterwards, to ensure it stays in a clean
state whenever possible. (This logic is turned off if these mounts are
explicitly listed in fstab tough, unfortunately fedora does that).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin