From: Jonathan Wakely [mailto:jwak...@fedoraproject.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:16 PM
To: Development discussions related to Fedora
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Cc: Muneendra Kumar M <muneendra.ku...@broadcom.com>
Subject: Re: Query on upgrading the Fedora package

>I don't know what part of the procedure you're unclear about, so here's
>a summary of the entire process from start to finish.
>
>Get the package sources:
>
>fedpkg clone fctxpd
>cd fctxpd
>
>Now download the new upstream code.
>Optionally verify the package was downloaded correctly by checking a
>SHA or other hash.
>
>Open the fctxpd.spec file in your preferred editor. Update the various
>versions (commit, snapshotdate etc.) and add a new entry to the
>%changelog section. Save the file.
>
>Create a SRPM from the changed (but not committed spec file):

Oops, this was meant to say:

Create a SRPM from the changed (but not committed) spec file:

>fedpkg srpm
>
>Run a scratch build in the koji build system:
>
>fedpkg scratch-build --srpm $(fedpkg verrel).src.rpm
>
>Wait for the results, check them, fix any problems.
>
>Once you have a working package, commit your changes to the spec file:
>
>fedpkg new-sources NEW-UPSTREAM-TARBALL.tar.gz fedpkg commit -c

And your mail software seems to have lost a newline between these two
commands:

fedpkg new-sources NEW-UPSTREAM-TARBALL.tar.gz

fedpkg commit -c

>And publish them:
>
>fedpkg push
>
>And do the real build:
>
>fedpkg build

I should also say that these steps are not the _only_ way to do it
(they're not even the way I would do it most of the time). But they should
be a simple-to-follow sequence that is relatively hard to screw up.

Use 'man fedpkg' to find out more about each step, and see these links for
additonal background information:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintenance_guide
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO