On 8/5/20 8:30 AM, Jiří Eischmann wrote:
Zdenek Dohnal píše v St 05. 08. 2020 v 07:44 +0200:
Hi all,

I would like to announce sane-airscan project [1] will be shipped in
the
official Fedora repositories from Fedora 32 [2].

sane-airscan implements a backend for Microsoft WSD and ESCL (usually
called AirScan, originating from Apple) protocols, which are common
in
newer (2012+) scanners and multi-function devices for scanning.

Using sane-airscan, newer devices don't need vendor proprietary
software
for scanning any longer (e.g. hplip with its hp-plugin).

The project is divided into main package - sane-airscan - which
contains
helper tool - airscan-discover - for discovering devices in setups,
where automatic DNS-SD discovery doesn't do the trick, and subpackage
-
libsane-airscan - which the main package requires and the common
known
project for scanning - sane-backends - will require to get the
backend
into common scanning stack installation.

Please feel free to test it.

  Will it be possible to use a Fedora machine as a server, so that I can
have an old scanner connected to it via USB and then shared with other
devices on the local network via those protocols?
That would be neat.

If your clients are SANE supported OSs, you can already do that with saned. For example this documentation

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork

Jiri