Hi, Stephen.

On Wednesday, 05 August 2020 at 21:36, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> FESCo has requested that I submit the module policy once more to the
> Fedora development list for discussion. Feedback is welcome.

[...]
> * The default stream of a module *MUST NOT* change to a different
> stream within a released Fedora version.footnote:[This is an extension
> of the
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#stable-releases[stable
> updates policy].] The default stream *MAY* be changed in Rawhide or
> during Fedora upgrades. Changes to default streams *MUST* be approved
> via a
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/program_management/changes_policy/#_change_process[Fedora
> Change proposal].
> * Packages *MAY* convert from a non-modular package to a modular
> default stream (or the reverse) only in Rawhide or during Fedora
> upgrades.

> * Default streams *MUST NOT* provide a binary RPM with the same
> package name as a non-modular RPM in the same release except in the
> case of a transition from one to the other.footnote:[Modular packages
> shadow non-modular ones. This rule ensures that we don't have any
> shadowed packages in the default package set.]

[1] Transitions to/from modular are already forbidden in Fedora
releases, so saying "in the same release" makes no sense. I'd say "in
rawhide or during Fedora upgrades".

> * Default streams *MUST NOT* provide a binary RPM with the same
> package name as an RPM in a default stream in the same release except
> in the case of a transition from one to the other.footnote:[In this
> situation, whichever has the highest NEVRA would win the depsolving
> and could break the other module.]

I guess "transition to another default module" is what is meant above.

> * Multiple default streams *MUST NOT* provide the same binary package
> names at runtime.footnote:[They *MAY* provide other well-known names
> in the same manner as permitted for non-modular content. For example,
> two different default streams *MAY* provide content to be used with
> the `alternatives` system or virtual `Provides` for capabilities.]

> * Default streams *MUST NOT* provide a package that overrides a
> package of the same name in the non-modular content except in approved
> cases of migration between modular and non-modular delivery.

This is redundant, already mentioned above[1].

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPM Fusion  http://rpmfusion.org