On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 10:00 PM Jerry James <loganje...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 1:29 PM Jerry James <loganje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I added "exit 1" to the end of %install in one of the affected OCaml
> > packages, so that I could inspect the contents of
> > /builddir/build/BUILDROOT in the mock chroot.  The files all have the
> > correct permissions.  Yet when the binary RPM is generated, executable
> > files are missing write permission for user; i.e., they have 555
> > permissions instead of 755.
> >
> > I am also seeing "Error in <unknown> scriptlet in rpm package x",
> > where x is some random package, when running mock with
> > --enablerepo=local, just as Fabio reported.
> >
> > The combination of the two makes me suspect that RPM has gone bonkers
> > in Rawhide, whether due to the new version of glibc or something else,
> > I couldn't say.
>
> I just did a koji build of an OCaml package for Rawhide.  None of the
> above happened.  So whatever is going on is affecting mock
> --enablerepo=local builds for Fabio and me, at least, but does not
> appear to affect koji builds.

It does not seem to affect koji builds, but I have now seen those
issues in rawhide COPR builds ... so it's not only local builds that
are affected:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/java-maint-sig/junit-asm-mockito-prs/monitor/

The errors are copied from the build logs from the packages listed in
parentheses (build logs are still publicly available on COPR).
It's starting to look like the shell in RPM scriptlets (be it %build /
%install / %post / %postun) is broken somehow?

- strange TeX errors, something like this (apron, Coin-or-Dip, octave):
    /usr/bin/texi2dvi: TeX neither supports -recorder nor outputs
\openout lines in its log file
or
    I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

- ln -s failing to create a symbolic link all of a sudden (eclipse):
    ln: failed to create symbolic link './lib': File exists

- %mvn_build unable to find the java command (eclipse-cdt,
eclipse-ecf, eclipse-jgit, eclipse-remote, findbugs, fmpp,
icedtea-web, java-comment-preprocessor, jboss-modules, jfontchooser,
jgroups, joni, jsonp, legendsbrowser, maven-archetype,
maven-jaxb2-plugin, neurord, pdfbox, powermock, xmlunit, zxing):

/usr/share/maven/bin/mvn: Failed to set JAVACMD
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

- ant unable to find /usr/bin/java command despite it being installed
(fop, hsqldb1, jaxodraw, scala, scalacheck, umlgraph):

/usr/bin/ant: Failed to set JAVACMD
We cannot run Java, please ensure you have Java installed.
  We have tried to execute /usr/bin/java but failed.

- source files suddenly marked as read-only after unpacking them (jhdf5):
    File configure.in is read-only; trying to patch anyway

- stripping binaries of debuginfo fails with permission errors (pl):
   gdb-add-index: unable to access: (foo)
   objcopy: unable to copy file (foo) reason: Permission denied

- autoreconf fails because %build needs a newer shell (protobuf):

/usr/bin/autoconf: This script requires a shell more modern than all
/usr/bin/autoconf: the shells that I found on your system.
/usr/bin/autoconf: Please tell bug-autoc...@gnu.org about your system,
/usr/bin/autoconf: including any error possibly output before this
/usr/bin/autoconf: message. Then install a modern shell, or manually run
/usr/bin/autoconf: the script under such a shell if you do have one.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

- shell not executing stuff in backticks `command foo` but returns
empty string (tonto):
    `build-classpath foo` # this doesn't work?

I'm getting the sinking feeling that RPM scriptlets are broken? Do
they get run in the wrong shell? sh instead of bash maybe?

I'm grasping at straws here, but all those build failures are starting
to be really disruptive to the work that I'm actually trying to do ...

Fabio