On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:18:04AM +0200, Bohdan Khomutskyi wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Thanks for sharing your ideas and comments about this change.
>
> Thanks to Mohan Boddu, I got RawHide DVD and netinstall images of
> RawHide with the optimization features enabled. Those test composes
> are available at the following locations:
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20200828.n.0/
> (Plain SquashFS)
>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20200908.n.1/compose/Server/x86_64/iso/
> (Plain SquashFS and different xz compression options)
>
> To select images from the test composes, I applied a patch from
> https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/2829, so you can
> download and run those images yourself to test the change:
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tGsoqFMg2A6dQZHfuQNb9uDqYu9XEiPI
>
> The result of benchmark will supplement already available data I
> previously posted for Fedora Live images at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/OptimizeSquashFS
>
> As a reminder, there are 2 levels for this optimization:
>
> 1. Making the SquashFS filesystem on the DVD plain (i.e. without
> embedded EXT4 inside it) -- has the suffix plain-xz-128k.iso

This sounds excellent. We should get both better time and space efficiency.

> 2. In addition to #1, using a different compression parameters for
> the SquashFS filesystem on the installation medium -- has the suffix
> plain-xz-1M.iso

And this ones trades times for space. Considering that the space
difference is only ~50 MB, I don't think it's worth it, for all the
reasons outlined before.

You haven't really answered the "why" part: why is it so important to
save 50MB? And why is the effect on QA less important?

Zbyszek