On 9/30/20 6:50 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi Neal,

On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 19:59 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
For the record, Mark has started implementing DWARF-5 support in dwz:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=dwz.git;a=log

I think I would rather like to see a Change proposal to switch to
DWARF-5 for Fedora 34, especially since it looks like dwz will be
ready for it.
That is indeed my goal, but I wasn't planning on filing a specific
Change Proposal for it.

First because as you observed in the past we did some of these
debuginfo things Fedora first and then it took years (!) for some of
the default settings we had changed and helper scripts to make it
upstream. So I am concentrating on getting everything ready upstream
first before making and proposing any changes for Fedora.

Secondly I am hoping that because of the first point the GCC11 for
Fedora 34 Change Proposal will simply say "-gdwarf-5 is now the
default".

In that change proposal can you add a sentence or two in the proposal indicating that I will do a test rawhide build with gcc-11 with dwarf5 on by default?  My worry is that once Aldy/Andrew's Ranger work has finished that I'll forget the need for dwarf5 testing.

jeff