On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 4:22 PM Marius Schwarz <fedora...@cloud-foo.de> wrote:

> Am 01.10.20 um 00:02 schrieb Chris Murphy:
>
> I made some more tests. It's a race, 1 out of 10 tries succeeds and the
> chance that it does is improoved by inserting the usb drive while being
> in the bios.
>
> The F31 grub files i exchanged do not seem to have something to do with it.
>
> The race happens with the same probability regardless of GRUB Fedora
> release version?
>
> No, F31 boots everytime under any condition. It's only for F32/33 afaict.
>
> I tested it with the same stick, to avoid a problem with the stick
> electronics itself.

OK so some kind of regression in GRUB, but also a firmware bug because
otherwise many other people would run into this. It's GRUB 2.02 in
Fedora 31 and GRUB 2.04 in Fedora 32. So it could be an upstream bug.

Where I'd start is making a livecd-iso-to-disk based USB stick, from
the Fedora 32 ISO that you already know fails, and make sure it still
fails when created this way. If it doesn't, then it's probably not
GRUB it's something else about the image.

But assuming it fails, you now have an easily modifiable USB stick,
it's read-writable, so you can just copy each test grubx64.efi binary
onto the stick.

You could start with this, pretty sure it'll fail too. So just extract
the grubx64.efi from grub2-efi-x64-2.04-1.fc32.x86_64.rpm and replace
the one on the USB stick.
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1356278

--
Chris Murphy