On 10/6/20 2:22 PM, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
On 06.10.2020 21:08, Gordon Messmer wrote:
I definitely think this should be rolled back.  We're past the beta freeze, and IMO, this violates the updates policy which states "Package maintainers MUST:   Avoid Major version updates, ABI breakage, or API changes if at all possible."

Thunderbird's update is not broken, it has no API/ABI breakages. Everything works just fine.

Personally, I think this change warrants its own self-contained change proposal in the next release of Fedora, even though Thunderbird 68 will not receive updates after Sep 2020

OpenPGP is now build-in into Thunderbird core. No third party addons required.

One way or another, I need to roll back until SOGo has time to finish porting their extension to the new API.  After rolled back, the Lightning extension isn't enabled or even visible in Add-ons, so I have to figure out how to fix that.

Fedora is a bleeding edge distribution. If you need a legacy version of any package, you can always build it in COPR. I want to use the most recent version.

While I agree with wanting the latest version, and it doesn't break anything I use, from the release notes linked above:

"Thunderbird version 78.2.1 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions. Automatic updates are available for users already running version 78.0 or higher."

Sounds to me they don't expect 78.2.1 to be entirely compatible with profiles from the previous version.