Hi,

EOL and Obsoletes were planned as a feature of Modularity. The feature
should enable to set shorter/longer life cycles on Modules than the OS
release. The initial idea was to set this information in the disgit
metadata of a Module. As time went by the requirements have changed.

>From my point of view right now it seems that this information should not
be a part of the module (disgit, repository metadata). It is prone to human
error when we leave this in the hands of a packager. So this would need a
review of Engineering to be reliable.

Next is that a lot of 3rd parties like to handle the EOL and Obsoletes of
packages/modules by other means, which makes this redundant.  Also, as the
release cycle of Fedora is so fast, I am not sure this is a necessary
feature at all

I spoke to people in the community and I got mixed information/opinions, so
I want to open a discussion about this feature. So WDYT? Is this necessary
for Fedora? If yes, how should we handle this?

--

Martin Curlej

Software Engineer, Product Owner

Modularity