On Mon, 2 Nov 2020, Jakub Jelen wrote:

Some months ago, I wrote a patch [2] for scp to use SFTP internally (with possibility to change it back using -M scp) and ran it through some successful testing. The general feedback from upstream was also quite positive so I would like to hear also opinions from our users.

I am looking for any kind of feedback from the idea through the usability, implementation. Is this something you would like to see in Fedora soon? Do you have something against this? Is your use case missing?

This is excellent!

Indeed, most users don't care about the underlying SSH protocol flavour
other than expecting it to be secure. They just want "scp" to work.

Your solution does both. It is a very good example of listening to what
users want and supported users without requiring them to learn a new
command like sftp. I wish more developers had this focus!

I will try it out over the next few days. My personal usecases would be
that it still keeps working with rsync's method of invoking scp and that
we would have sftp enable by default for sshd by default.

Thanks!

Paul