On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 21:22, Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 19:42 +0100, Clement Verna wrote:
> > >
> > > CoreOS is going to be the same only worse, because it's not even built
> > > the same way as the rest of Fedora. It's not built by Pungi, we don't
> > > get the same messages published when CoreOS builds happen (we don't get
> > > messages published at all, IIRC), the metadata for CoreOS builds is not
> > > in productmd[2] form like the metadata for Pungi builds, the whole
> > > process is entirely different.
> > >

> > Recently messages were added when streams are updated [0][1]. I believe
> > that other messages could be added if needed.
>
> Right, I forgot about that, thanks. I've got a ticket lying around here
> somewhere to make something actually use them...:)
> > >
> > > So to boil this down into a representative question: when we are doing
> > > the Fedora 34 Go/No-Go meeting in ~four months' time, how do we decide
> > > whether to release "Fedora CoreOS 34"?
> > >

> > Fedora CoreOS 34 does not exist, you have Fedora CoreOS stable, testing
> and
> > next, each stream is released every 2 weeks.
> > The Go/No-Go is based on reports coming from each stream, next stream is
> > promoted to testing and testing promoted to stable.
> > If any blockers are found in next or testing the content will not be
> > promoted to stable.
> >
> > I think it is fairly well explained here[2]
> > >
> > > What does the question "is Fedora CoreOS 34 ready to go" even mean, in
> > > the context of how CoreOS is built and released? What set of bits will
> > > we be deciding to ship or not ship, and how will that have been decided
> > > and communicated? Where will we look to find the test results and
> > > criteria on which we would base that decision?
> > >

> > To maintain a fortnightly cadence there is a strong reliance on CI, every
> > build is tested and results are inspected during the release process.
> > Currently a release is gated on tests running on AWS, GCP and Openstack,
> > these tests are running on a centos-ci jenkins instance which I think
> > cannot be access without a centos account (I might be wrong), but yeah
> > making these tests and results more transparent could be an improvement.
>
> Right, but - as I think you started to recognize later in your mail -
> we're sort of talking at cross-purposes here. You're talking about a
> process that has been developed kind of in isolation for building and
> releasing a thing which has the name "Fedora CoreOS" but doesn't
> actually really integrate much at all with the processes we have for
> building and releasing all the other things that make up "Fedora".

Indeed and this was because the current tools and processes were not
designed to work
with a Fedora releasing every 2 weeks. Being allowed to think outside of
the box
and doing things differently is IMO a good thing and should be encouraged.

> This is kind of fine as things stand because the thing with the name
> "Fedora CoreOS" isn't considered to be a core fundamental part of the
> thing with the name "Fedora". But this Change is about making it that.
> Doing that causes all sorts of awkward impedance mismatches. Like,
> saying "Fedora CoreOS 34 does not exist" is awkward, because we still
> have this kind of institutional concept of a "Fedora release" which is
> important to what the thing called "Fedora" is and does.

To the outside
> world, there is a strong impression that the thing called "Fedora" is a
> product or set of products with a release number that gets released
> every six months. The concept of "Fedora 33 release" or "Fedora 34
> release" is a strong concept with all these sort of institutional
> ripples.

And why cannot we make this evolve ? Is it bad to have a Fedora that has
streams instead of versions ?
Promoting FCOS to an edition is the opportunity to communicate about this
and say to the outside, hey we
have this new thing in Fedora that has a different model come and check it
out.
Fedora has the reputation of leading innovation and doing things first, I
would like to think that making Fedora CoreOS an edition would match these
values.

Also having a different model allows us to expand and reach out to other
types of users.
For years I have heard "I would like to run Fedora on my server, but there
is no LTS and I don't want to do a major upgrade every year".
Why wouldn't be Fedora CoreOS, a possible answer to that problem ?

I believe that we need to be open to doing things differently and welcome
different use cases.

> If we want the thing called "Fedora CoreOS" to be a key, fundamental
> component of the thing called "Fedora" - which is what making it an
> "Edition" is effectively about - we have to deal with those impedance
> mismatches.
>
> So in this case, we could, for instance, make "Fedora CoreOS 34" a
> 'thing' by requiring that the CoreOS stable stream gets bumped at the
> same time as the rest of the Fedora "release" happening. That gives us
> a nice simple story that fits into our existing way of doing things.

Is this only a story problem ? I am sorry but I really struggle to
understand why we cannot have a Fedora Edition that does not release every
6 months.
Would you mind explaining a bit more why it matters so much to be able to
say we have a Fedora CoreOS 34 ?

> This is more or less what we did with IoT: as things stand, the
> situation with IoT is "OK, it's built from a separate compose stream,
> but we still expect it to tie into the release cycle. We expect there
> to be a release candidate based on the same bits as the mainline
> release, with the same release number, that we sign off and release at
> the same time."
>
> Of course, that's also the drawback. If we don't want to do that, we
> have to resolve the problem some other way, which is quite a
> fundamental thing, if you think about it. My point here is that to do
> that properly, we have to reconsider the strong idea that "Fedora is a
> product that comes out every six months", which is a big job that comes
> with quite a lot of consequences. It has consequences, for instance,
> for our most important forms of communication to the wider world: how
> do we pivot from this simple story that "Fedora is a (set of)
> product(s) that come(s) out every six months, look out for our big
> Fedora XX Release Announcements!" to "Fedora is that, but it's ALSO
> this other thing that has three streams which release every two weeks
> and roll over according to some completely other schedule"? And so on.

Considering the use cases and target users of Fedora CoreOS I think telling
2 different stories should not be a problem.
IMO this is already happening, I don't think people are confused between
for example Fedora Workstation and Fedora CoreOS.
I do see much more confusion around Silverblue, IoT and Fedora CoreOS tho.

> I'm not saying these are things that should stop the Change, I'm saying
> they're things that *need to be considered as part of implementing the
> Change*, and deciding its schedule. What I'd be worried about is if
> this Change just amounted to bumping CoreOS up a few hundred pixels on
> getfedora.org but otherwise changing nothing, because I think that
> would actually cause some quite fundamental problems in terms of how we
> think and talk about the thing called "Fedora".
>

> It's true that for a while we called Atomic an edition, but it had most
> of the same issues I talk about above and we didn't really resolve
> them. I think we sort of got by with that because at that time our
> communication wasn't quite as strong or clear and Atomic was more
> obviously a thing which wasn't entirely "baked" yet, so people still
> didn't consider it "really" a key part of Fedora, it still got
> handwaved. I think that was us getting lucky, and we really should have
> addressed more of these concerns more strongly then; I also think it's
> not a given we'd get away with the same outcome now if we just hung an
> "Edition" sign on CoreOS now but otherwise didn't consider any of these
> concerns.
> > >
> > > Are any of these silly questions, which would indicate that our release
> > > process is based on assumptions which need to be fundamentally re-
> > > examined as part of this Change?
> > >

> > So what defines an Edition ?
>
> Good question! getfedora.org uses the concept, but doesn't define it.
> So the authoritative source, I guess, is still
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Editions , which says "Fedora Editions
> are curated sets of packages, guidelines and configuration, and
> artifacts built from those pieces, that address a specific, targeted
> use-case. The Editions are the primary Fedora outputs that most Fedora
> users are encouraged to use and directed towards through the download
> site."

According to the above, it sounds to me that Fedora CoreOS fits the
definition.

> >  I think if we don't want to accept a different
> > philosophy about release schedule and release engineering we can just
> close
> > that Change proposal.
>
> That's not the outcome I intended, but rather that if we want CoreOS to
> be an "Edition" but we don't want to require it to conform to the
> existing "philosophy", as you put it, we need the scope of this Change
> to include thinking through all the consequences of that and deciding
> what to do about them.

Happy to do that, is your main concern about communication and the story of
what is "Fedora" ? or what are the other consequences ?

> > How do you consider Rawhide for example ?
>
> Rawhide isn't an edition, which I think should be clear from the
> definitions above. Rawhide is sort of the primordial soup from which
> Editions and all else eventually emerges, I guess. :P
> > >
> > > All of this is stuff we could kind of handwave so long as CoreOS wasn't
> > > an official Edition; we could *more or less* leave the CoreOS team to
> > > decide what a CoreOS release looked like and when it would happen and
> > > when it was good enough to ship, and so on.
> > >

> > So this change comes down to Can we have a Fedora Edition that has a
> > different workflow ?
>
> More or less, yes - but with a key addition: "...and if so, how?"

I feel that we already have the how, Fedora CoreOS has been releasing
fortnightly for more than a year now.
So it is a matter of making more widely known how this is done ?

Thanks for sharing your concerns, I think this is a really good
conversation to have.