On 12/16/20 5:38 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 04:28:49PM -0500, przemek klosowski via devel wrote:
I was trying to make a point that we don't have a way to check the initial
image: it could be altered to falsely claim to be signed by fedoraproject.
well, we do: https://getfedora.org/security/

Right, but it's not automatic, and requires an existing known-good system, which is the actual 'root of trust' here. This cannot be assumed about a flash drive, which is why the automatic image check is hard.

I guess it would involve a secure boot into a fedora signed shim that

 * retrieves the checksum over a verified TLS network connection
 * checks the image against that.