On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:40:24AM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Sunday, December 13, 2020 11:02:53 PM CET Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > * Finally releng is looking at establishing a sidetag cleanup policy.
> > A reminder that sidetags should be short lived and only created when
> > needed. koji must generate buildroot repos for every single sidetag.
> > ( You can list all your sidetags with 'fedpkg list-side-tags --mine' )
>
> I'm just curious what's the most expensive thing for Koji to implement
> side-tags, I'd expect something like:
>
>     - the repositories are cloned (recursively hardlinked/symlinked?)
>     - the override package is added
>     - then createrepo_c is run

I haven't closely looked, but I am pretty sure it's the createrepo_c
calls. Not that they take that long, but that there has to be one for
every single buildroot change. ie, if I build foo in rawhide, as soon as
it lands in the f34 tag, the ~90 f34 side tags all have to run newrepo
tasks. Repeat many many many times a day.

> In Copr we don't have to clone the repositories, but we have to run the
> createrepo_c after each build.  In the past the bottleneck used to be
> the createrepo_c run (recursive walk through all the packages in larger
> repositories).
>
> If Koji suffers from the same problem, perhaps you could take a look at
> the new createrepo_c option `--recycle-pkglist` - the createrepo_c costs
> almost nothing then (matter of just reading and later writing the xml
> metadata).

That would work for the simple case of an updated package, but it
wouldn't work for new packages added would it? I suppose we could tell
people if they need to use a new package in their sidetag to delete and
recreate it? Not sure how much hassle that would be.

kevin