On 12/21/20 8:28 AM, Ben Cotton wrote:
== Documentation ==

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-oomd.html<br />
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/oomctl.html<br />
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/oomd.conf.html

Be aware that if you intend to enable monitoring and actions on user.slice,
user-$UID.slice, or their ancestor cgroups, it is highly recommended that your
programs be managed by the systemd user manager to prevent running too many
processes under the same session scope (and thus avoid a situation where memory
intensive tasks trigger systemd-oomd to kill everything under the cgroup). If
you're using a desktop environment like GNOME, it already spawns many session
components with the systemd user manager.

This makes me slightly very concerned. According to cgls, I have most of the apps running directly under user-$UID.slice -> session-X.scope. That includes a compositor (sway) and a few applications that consume uncomfortably close to 100% of available memory (firefox, thunderbird, clangd, gcc, etc...).

My understanding is that unless I configure all of the above to run under dedicated scopes, an attempt to run a memory-intensive task would make systemd-oomd terminate the whole user slice with all my apps.

Is there anything that could be improved for that scenario? I don't expect that all our desktop users would start using `systemd-run --scope --user` to launch their applications.

--
With best regards,
Aleksei Bavshin