Hi,

> An additional problem is I cannot find any way to debug the problem.
> Something (systemd? dracut?) asks for a root password in order to get
> to the emergency shell, and I can find no way around this nor any
> password which works.  I wish there was a "stop asking for a password"
> option on the kernel command line.

Trapped into the same thing a few days ago.  dracut uses sulogin now.

Run dracut with --no-hostonly.  Adding dracut-config-generic to the
kickstart package list should have the same effect (not tested though).
That'll disable the root login in the initramfs and sulogin gives you a
shell when you tap enter.

HTH,
  Gerd