On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 18:54, Kevin Kofler via devel <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I don't think "documentation is harder to keep up to date there" is
> right,
>
> Well, I guess it does not apply that much to the pages which were already
> in
> an ACL-locked namespace, in particular, the packaging guidelines that can
> only be edited by FPC. I cannot speak for the FPC whether it is easier,
> harder, or the same difficulty to do the edits now vs. on the wiki.
>
> But as far as I can tell, the move also affects wiki contents that were
> not
> previously ACL-locked, and for those, it makes a big difference whether
> anyone with a FAS account can just edit them on the wiki or whether one
> has
> to dig up the source code in some Git repository and send a pull request
> (and not get any instant feedback whether the changes even compile without
> also installing some documentation processing toolchain). I guess most
> people can only try to get someone else to do the editing work, or will
> just
> shrug it off as "it's wrong and I cannot edit it".

Actually the wiki is ACL locked where you need more than a FAS account to
edit it (and has been for several years). That is because we spent too much
time cleaning up neo-nazi scribbles, various pill scams, and get-rich ads
from continual organized groups who look for low barrier of entry wikis to
use for this. We have several tens of thousand fas accounts all opened by
these groups continually even after we stopped allowing the wiki edits to
anyone with a FAS account. The groups are still there, still opening
accounts and every now and then find some group to get added to where they
start up again.

[Some of the groups are robots doing this, but a large number are people
paid to do the 'pose as a real person' so our robot can take over and spam
edit. Most of them are very intelligent people who see it as more of a
continual puzzle to solve with the sites as the puzzle-master.]

Using the 'needs to be viewed before accepted' causes problems because the
malware that all these things use can just look at the edit tag and display
the crap on people's screens and websites anyway. And the general website
goes down regularly because millions of browsers from other websites are
tricked into getting stuff from our servers.

The second problem that 'needs to be accepted before published' plugins is
that it requires active people to check their sections. Almost no one is
doing that for the wiki and that has been the case for over a decade. A
well structured wiki requires active work from people wanting to do this in
and out. The people who did this initially in Fedora left years ago, and no
one has ever stepped up to replace them. Most people seem to assume that
instead someone else will do that work for them later. New people who have
been interested usually look at the mess and say 'I would say nuke it and
start over' or 'you know moving this to a newer technology is better'. Then
they deal with the community for a while and realize that as much as people
complain about how horrible it is, they will fight any change because it
would mean learning something new.

The wiki has been a 'trashcan' since before we moved from moin to
mediawiki. This is in part because many groups expected the wiki to be
'their' wiki and they got to do whatever was inside their section. It then
became an afterthought where you stick some things up so you can checkmark
'documentation done' in whatever checklist.

In the end, the wiki is most useful when people care for it and you have
people who are either paid (even in the mediawiki) or volunteer to be
'librarians' and curate and clean up things. No one has done that in Fedora
since at least 2010, and without an empowered community to clean things up
and keep litter down.. the wiki turns into what it is. [This isn't the only
wiki like this.. most ones end up this way because people think they
magically take care of themselves without realizing the army of people that
sit at the Mediawiki wikipedias to do that work.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.