I am not sure how the image is actually built, but I have tried to
build an image with appliance-creator on a RISC-V VM, and the built
image is bootable. In my case:

    # dnf install appliance-tools
    # wget
http://fedora.riscv.rocks:3000/davidlt/fedora-riscv-kickstarts/raw/branch/master/fedora-riscv64-minimal-rawhide.ks
    # vi fedora-riscv64-minimal-rawhide.ks
    (enable repo and edit something to prevent errors by the following commend.)
    # appliance-creator -n ThinCrust -c
fedora-riscv64-minimal-rawhide.ks --cache ./cache/

Then I have gotten ThinCrust/ThinCrust-sda.raw.xz file.

I have referred the following URLs to get the above steps.

    http://fedora.riscv.rocks/koji/taskinfo?taskID=320958
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplianceTools
    https://pagure.io/appliance-tools

Takayuki Nagata