Hi,

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021, 11:20 AM Pavel Březina <pbrez...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Can you reiterate the problem? The snippet above don't tell me much.
Sorry, let me summarize (but also see Benjamin's email).

Right now, if fingerprint auth is disabled in authselect, it's not
disabling fingerprint auth at the graphical login screen.

To disable fingerprint auth at the login screen, it needs to write out
a dconf file to tweak the enabled authentication methods.
I'm pretty sure it used to do this, or at least authconfig did.

If it doesn't disable it in the dconf config, the login screen will
try to use it.  It will then fail, and the user will see an error
message
blink by 3 times as it keeps retrying.

Now, on to Benjamin's point, if the fingerprint-auth service returned
AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL, then the login screen would treat the
failure as a "service unavailable" failure, and know not to retry,
which would be better that status quo. It would fix the user
experience,
but it's still not as good as not trying in the first place.

Of course, it wouldn't have to be an either/or.  authselect could
write out the dconf config, and make sure the fingerprint-auth stub
service returns PAM_AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL instead of falling back to
PAM_AUTH_ERR from the pam_deny in /etc/pam.d/other

make sense?

--Ray