On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 10:00:56AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > running commands to look back in the logs for problems is a common
> > diagnostic step. This could be better, of course.
> But for MCE exceptions, specifically ECC errors I would expect the kernel to
> log these
> through dmesg anyways and then the mcelog service has very little added value
> IMHO
> (I have no experience with machines with ECC RAM).

I think it's actually needed to properly log the errors coming from the
kernel. However, I see from the docs https://github.com/andikleen/mcelog
that it has a "trigger" mode, where the kernel calls it on an error.
Upstream doesn't recommend it because it doesn't enable some fancier
features, but maybe that would be a better default for desktop

> Esp. given that ECC RAM is something which most Fedora Workstation users won't
> have, so having this included / enabled by default feels wrong IMHO.

It's my understanding that it also handles other CPU errors and -- probably
very relevant to many Fedora Workstation users -- thermal CPU throttling
events.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>