On 06/04/2021 15:16, Tom Hughes wrote:
On 06/04/2021 14:47, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

I'm looking at https://languages.stg.fedoraproject.org/territories/pl/,
and it says:

be (0.58 %)
csb official_regional (0.13 %)
de official_regional (19 %)
en (33 %)
lt official_regional (0.021 %)
pl official (96 %)
ru (18 %)
sli (0.031 %)
szl (1.3 %)
uk (0.39 %)

I think it's be good to order those items by percentage, rather than
alphabetically.

But my question is: what are those numbers supposed to _mean_?

As the page says the data comes from CLDR and that is documented here:

https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-info.html#Supplemental_Territory_Information

Specifically those numbers are from the languagePopulation elements
in the most recent CLDR release.

The data for DE in PL in CLDR specifically references a source:

<reference type="R1277" uri="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_minority_in_Poland";>regional-official in part of Opole Voivodeship; in Poland 325 schools with primary instr in German, estimate 37000 students. Real figure probably higher.</reference>

Though the numbers on that page don't get near the 7 million
that is being claimed.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)