On Mon, Apr 12, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> (Of course, sd-boot works this way: the RPM packages drop EFI binaries
> into /usr/, and "bootctl install" and "bootctl update" will copy them
> into the boot loader partitions, carefully and defensively in order
> not to corrupt what else might be there.)

Yep, rpm-ostree and bootupd (https://github.com/coreos/bootupd/) that are used
by Fedora CoreOS are similar.

But, trying to change the traditional RPM path seems quite tricky to do safely
without having a window where the grub binaries are deleted from `/boot` e.g.
And we've conditioned people to the idea that `yum update` will also update
grub for EFI systems.