On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 12:09 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 17:39 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Comparing the Ubuntu 10.04 DVD installer (which I use a couple of weeks
> > ago) to Fedora 13 DVD installer is like comparing the Cessna to a Boeing
> > 747.
> > Sure, both can accomplish the same task. Read: transporting people from
> > one airport to another, but lets see you try transporting 400 peoples
> > from London to NY using a Cessna...
> >
> > The same logic applies to the Ubuntu installer: As long as you require a
> > fairly basic -desktop- configuration (Read: No fancy storage, no LVM, no
> > fancy setup source [nfs, dvd, http], -very- basic encryption, standard
> > software set and repository selection, etc), the Ubuntu installer is a
> > great tool, but once you need something complex, you're screwed.
>
> That's all true. I've found the Ubuntu installer looks /very/ polished
> and nice for very common install cases, but I always use LVM on every
> install that I do, and last time I did a VM install of Ubuntu, I had to
> switch to a VT and get LVM sorted on the command line. Not super user
> friendly as compared with Anaconda. Other installers were even more of a
> joke doing this stuff. Tried doing LVM on Gentoo? :) Things like LVM and
> VNC do really matter, and not just for "Enterprise" users. You don't
> need to use LVM w/wo RAID, you can just do bare partitions if you don't
> care about being able to do anything useful with your disks at all :)

Amen to that.
Given the absurdly cheap price of HD these days, I usually opt for LVM
over software RAID1 / RAID5 on each and every workstation machine I
install.
Achieving the same using the Ubuntu installer would have required a lot
of manual mdadm and lvm pv/vg/lv** commands. (Let alone their basic disk
partitioning tool)

... In their race for Joe-six-pack and Apple like polish, Ubuntu gave up
on many Linux core capabilities. Hopefully Fedora will -not- follow
suite.

- Gilboa

- Gilboa