Hi,

OFFLIST as it's not directly pertinent to your specific distro pkgs.

but, since you're packaging, fwiw, I take a very different approach than
distro-pkgd atm,

https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud.org/results/pgfed/nginx-mainline/fedora-33-x86_64/02142389-nginx/nginx.spec

that puts runtime service files under /run/nginx and logs under /var/log/nginx,
both chown'd as wwwrun:www.

personally, I find it a lot cleaner, easier to manage.  my $0.02, anyway.

that said, I'm very clear 'my' pkg'ing is not even close to release canonical
... i.e., just fyi.