On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 20:42 +0200, Martin Kolman wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 15:23 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 03:37:54PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Why are you still using passwords in 2021? SSH keys are much more
> > > secure and easier to use.
> >
> > Because distributing SSH keys to temporary VMs is hard?  Not
> > everything is a long-lived machine connected to the internet.
> What about creating an admin user instead ? It's effectively the same
> ammount of clicks - instead of setting a root password and checking the
> "Allow SSH root login with password" checkbox, create a regular user
> and check the "make this user an admin" checkbox.
>
> Regular users, including users with admin (sudo/wheel) privileges, can
> of course still login with password via SSH just fine.

This is not useful to use things like rsync or scp/sftp to transfer
files maintaining permissions/attributes/etc.. for doing quick local
testing, development, or other ephemeral things this option is
reasonable and there is no need to remove it.

And also to run commands it is not great, if you end up using su/sudo
without password, then you just made a process more complicated without
adding much if any security.

> > Rich.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
> > http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> > Read my programming and virtualization blog:
> > http://rwmj.wordpress.com
> > virt-top is 'top' for virtual machines.  Tiny program with many
> > powerful monitoring features, net stats, disk stats, logging, etc.
> > http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top
> > Do not reply to spam on the list, report it:
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure

> Do not reply to spam on the list, report it:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team