On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 04:35:44PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Drop_Rootpw_SSH_From_Installer

I don't understand why you want to remove this, since it defaults to
off.  Sure, add a warning if you like (probably there's one already?)

Not everyone is installing a public facing server.  On my isolated,
non-networked test instances I want to put up a short-lived VM with a
root password of "123456" quickly and no user account, and this option
lets me do that.

> Now fast forward to today, it's 2021, any use cases that needed
> password based root login via SSH had 2 more years to migrate while the
> amount of password guessing attacks certainly didn't get any lower.

The trouble is there isn't a practical, lightweight migration
available for the test use case, and these aren't exposed anywhere
that password-guessing attacks would succeed.  The option is not
enabled by default (and shouldn't be) so leave it be.

Rich.