From: "Miro Hrončok" <mhron...@redhat.com>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Cc: "Kaleb Keithley" <kkeit...@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 12:26:54 AM
Subject: Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers

On 19. 05. 21 0:17, Kaleb Keithley wrote:

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 4:15 PM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com
<mailto:mhron...@redhat.com>> wrote:

     Full report available at:
     https://churchyard.fedorapeople.org/orphans-2021-05-18.txt
     <https://churchyard.fedorapeople.org/orphans-2021-05-18.txt>
     grep it for your FAS username and follow the dependency chain.

rubygem-maruku?
Indeed.

If I'm reading your report correctly it's saying that it's pcs which
depends on
rubygem-maruku. (And glusterfs, or more specifically, glusterfs-ganesha
depends
on pcs.)
That is also correct.

I took the dummy's way out (rather than simply trust the report) and
installed
pcs (and a bunch of other things before I realized what the report was
saying)
on both my f34 and f35/rawhide boxes. In both cases rubygem-maruku was
_not_
installed.
The problematic dependency is a transitive build dependency. Your test only
verifies runtime dependencies.

Also `rpm -q --requires pcs` did not list rubygem-maruku.
Similarly, this only queries direct runtime dependencies.

----

  From the full linked report:

Depending on: rubygem-maruku (43), status change: 2021-05-06 (1 weeks ago)
        rubygem-tilt (maintained by: valtri, vondruch)
                rubygem-tilt-2.0.10-4.fc34.src requires rubygem(asciidoctor) =
2.0.15,
                rubygem(maruku) = 0.7.2

        pcs (maintained by: cfeist, idevat, mlisik, omular, tojeline)
                pcs-0.10.8-1.fc34.src requires rubygem-tilt = 2.0.10-4.fc34
                pcs-0.10.8-1.fc34.x86_64 requires rubygem-tilt = 2.0.10-4.fc34

So, technically:

   - Once rubygem-maruku is retired, rubygem-tilt fails to build.
   - Iff rubygem-tilt is not fixed, it will be orphaned and retired
   eventually.
   - Once rubygem-tilt is retired, pcs fails to build and fails to install.
   - When pcs fails to install, so does glusterfs-ganesha.

     The script creating this output is run and developed by Fedora
     Release Engineering. Please report issues at its pagure instance:
     https://pagure.io/releng/ <https://pagure.io/releng/>

Should I file a report? ;-)
If you know how to present the information in a less confusing way, please do
file a report.
AFAIK the maruku gem is used during rubygem-tilt build only for integration
tests.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rubygem-tilt/blob/af5f5083047697371b8e4197215a5223b761feba/f/rubygem-tilt.spec#_27

I've created a PR removing the dependency:
   https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rubygem-tilt/pull-request/1

Regards,
Pavel

--