Endless theoretical discussions ... Interesting, but _is_ there real-world, end-user doc
available for installing and using papp-et-al on Fedora, today?  A "do this
now" for end users?  TBH, I'm unclear (and no, I haven't gone digging ...)

Here, I've got hundreds of networked printers.  _Many_ of them old warhorses.
E.g., ~ 50 HP LaserJet 4050n.
Slow, but incredibly reliable.  Unlike the modern 'options' from HP, made cheaply
overseas, prone to breakage, and locked down with print-cartridge DRM, these 4050s have
outlasted virtually every desktop & server we have, and quite a number of staff as
well, and 3rd party parts & cartridges abound.

CUPS 2.3.3op2 runs on virtually every Fedora desktop here, in addition to quite
a few of the servers.

For the 4050s, the drivers are all 'HP LaserJet 4050 Series pcl3, hpcups 3.19.6 (color,
2-sided printing)', and the connections are "socket://static.i.p.address".

The PPDs are older than dirt,

  *PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
  *%%%% PPD file for HP LaserJet 4050 Series with CUPS.
  *%%%% Created by the CUPS PPD Compiler CUPS v1.5.0.
  *% (c) 2008 Copyright HP Development Company, LP
  *FormatVersion: "4.3"
  *FileVersion: "3.19.6"

and work flawlessly.

Admittedly, PS drivers are buggy-to-useless, and NONE of the "toner level"
reporting seems attached to reality in any way.
Neither, for me, has been a concern.

Same holds generally true for all other networked printers, with the exception
of some of high-volume/color machines that bundle their own
raster/spool/networking/etc.

If any of that^^ ceases to function, then that'll be a problem.
Personally, I'm not the slightest bit interesting in wasting time/money
replacing what work
s well *AND* losing capbility for the sake of the next bringh-n-shiny

OTOH, If papp-future _at_the_very_least_ maintains that^^ functionality through
legacy wrappers, then I have zero concerns.

Additional features/functionality are welcome gravy.