Hi Przemek,

thank you for trying the driverless and the investigation!

Would you mind checking if the similar bug isn't already reported on
Avahi in Fedora and reporting it if not? Maybe Avahi maintainers can
point out what is the best for debugging Avahi.

I recommend setting debug logging on avahi-daemon service file, maybe
its logs will show something more.

On 5/25/21 8:20 PM, przemek klosowski via devel wrote:

> There are so many moving pieces here that it's hard to get a handle on
> this. I had trouble seeing local network printers so I tried following
> the advice Zdenek published [1], but I ran into a nest of issues:
> printing depending on avahi, which fails quietly and is hard to debug.
>
> Specifically, I did  *avahi-browse -avrt*  which just returns with
> avahi_service_browser_new() failed: Invalid service type
>
> This seems to be related to a bug where some devices are sending
> non-compliant data to avahi:
> https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/212 but we're already far away
> from the print subsystem.. I tried running avahi-browser under gdb but
> between the missing and not-autoloading debuginfo packages, and the
> callback-style structure, I wasn't able to catch it receiving the data
> that causes the problem.
>
> I guess my point here is that we have a complex, interdependent
> system, and when it fails, it is fairly opaque. At this point I am not
> sure what to do: is the root cause here the avahi bug? I am willing to
> spend the effort getting to the bottom of it but I can't figure out
> where to start.

IIUC the upstream issue, the core of the problem is that something in
your local network sends a broken PTR record which avahi cannot cope
with and it breaks avahi-browse in whole LAN...

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer