On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 3:05 PM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 14. 06. 21 20:09, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> >> ==== PyPI Parity ====
> >>
> >> Machine-readable metadata (''distribution'' names in
> >> <code>dist-info</code> directories on disk and the corresponding
> >> <code>python3.Xdist(foo)</code> RPM provides) will match the Python
> >> Package Index (PyPI).
> >>
> >> This solves a ''namespace'' issue. Python packaging tools use a flat
> >> namespace,
> >> and PyPI is ''the'' place where open-source Python packages are generally
> >> published, so users and tools assume a package called <code>requests</code>
> >> is whatever <code>requests</code> means on PyPI.
> >> While this is not ideal (especially for private packages), it makes sense
> >> for Fedora to align with the PyPI namespace.
> >>
> >> Note that Fedora package names are not affected – just the Python packaging
> >> metadata on disk and virtual RPM Provides generated from it.
> >>
> >> The new guidelines cover what to do for packages that cannot be registered
> >> on PyPI. The Change owner is prepared to help with PyPI registration.
> >>
> >> Note that names found in Fedora but not on PyPI
> >> [https://github.com/pypa/pypi-support/issues/355 have been reserved on
> >> PyPI]
> >> to avoid being taken by unrelated projects.
> >
> > samba has extensive Python C bindings but does not use PyPI at all. We
> > don't want to, we don't need to, it is technically not possible without
> > building Samba from scratch and it would not make it usable for PIP
> > install without a stricter coordination of the non-Python dependencies
> > -- that's what Linux distributions do.
> >
> > In addition, 'samba' name is taken by an unrelated package on PyPI which
> > was not updated since 2019. For us this namespacing enforcement would
> > only be a problem.
>
> As long as the RPM package doesn't contain dist-info/egg-info that says "this
> is a Python package called samba" (and hence doesn't provide e.g.
> python3dist(samba)), this rule does not apply to samba's Python bindings.

This is completely unreasonable. The dist-info/egg-info data of a
Python module is for generating dependencies, not for forcing people
to deal with PyPI.

I reiterate that I did not *ever* envision the Python SIG using the
dependency generator I introduced as a means to act as a gatekeeper
for Python software packaging in Fedora.