On Mon, 2021-06-14 at 15:40 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> > The fact that this blocks FreeIPA was indeed only discovered by chance
> > while the side tag rebuild was already in progress (and about to be
> > merged). I wonder haw can we improve the process to ensure problems
> > like this are known to FreeIPA maintainers since the beginning and
> > prioritized accordingly. (Ideally, the process would not only be
> > improved for FreeIPA but the entire distro.)
>
> Well, this is a dependency problem in the first place. When an ABI
> change happens, like a Python ABI change with 3.10 mass-rebuild, it
> should be assumed and expected that until all previously successfully
> built packages were to be rebuilt, there will be broken dependencies.
> Perhaps, we could extend our existing checks for a broken compose to be
> done on a side-tag on demand? This way mass-rebuilders could ask for
> such a run one they consider to be ready to merge and see how that
> side-tag merge would affect the distribution. I don't think we have a
> better way to detect it before the merge.

Note, we did do a limited version of this; I built a Rawhide installer
image with Python 3.10 and ran a subset of openQA tests on it. We did
not include the FreeIPA tests in that, which was a bit of an oversight;
however, FreeIPA tests failed for an unrelated reason in the compose
before the merge, so it wouldn't necessarily have turned up the issue
anyway.

We do have the ODCS - https://pagure.io/odcs ,
https://odcs.fedoraproject.org/composes/ - which we might be able to
use to do this in a more comprehensive and organized way, but I haven't
checked in on exactly what its capabilities are lately. I don't know if
it's possible to request a compose "like Rawhide, but with this side
tag" from it. We might also be able to get releng to hand-roll one, I
guess.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA