* Neal Gompa:

> Some cursory examination of the new x86_64 sublevels seem to indicate
> that x86_64-v2 goes back to roughly 2007~2008, merely cutting off the
> first couple of generations of x86_64 CPUs from Intel and AMD. I
> personally don't have any computers that don't have support for
> x86_64-v2 anymore.

Right, I have yet to encounter anyone who can't run the new el9 binaries
on their hardware.  We had a few issues, but they were all
misconfiguration of hypervisors or software emulators.

> Does anyone know if anyone is planning to propose this for Fedora
> anytime soon, either as an addon architecture (like what Arch is
> doing) or an upgrade of our x86_64 baseline like RHEL is doing?

An add-on architecture seems unlikely.

I do not want to propose the change for Fedora 35 myself.  Maybe for
Fedora 36.  We could do the change in Fedora 35 if someone else
champions it and gets it through the process.

Thanks,
Florian