On 6/24/21 6:40 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 24. 06. 21 11:16, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
## Choosing git forge to host source-git repositories
We need to find a home for all the source-git repositories. This is
actually a really hard task because we have many options (github.com,
gitlab.com, pagure.io, src.fedoraproject.org, something custom or
on-premise) and different expectations: some projects already have
repos set up on different platforms while Pagure is the primary forge
now. Since the CPE team is investigating GitLab as a forge, it's even
harder for us to figure out the primary forge. We may end up
supporting both actually: pagure.io and gitlab.com. What are your
thoughts on this topic? Would you prefer pagure.io or gitlab.com
More info:
* https://pagure.io/fedora-source-git/sig/issue/1
* https://pagure.io/fedora-source-git/sig/issue/7

Indirectly related:

my scm-sourced COPR projects often pull from git repos (upstream @ Fedora src
projects), and use forgemeta macros in rpm config.

ime, forgemeta had lots of issues in the past with gitlab source matching when
pulling specific tags/commits, requiring customized source strings -- usually
after a bunch of trial-n-error.

github & pagure had no such problems.

to work around the challenges, I 1st mirrored gitlab repos to pagure, then
pulled from there in my COPR specs, originally specifying commits/tags.

I haven't revisited gitlab for a fairly long while to check again.

Neither have I tested forgemeta's newer support for packaging a branch state

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/SourceURL/#_branch_example

which is now available, stable & terribly convenient -- for github & pagure.

TL;DR in this particular case: as long as it plays nicely with COPR forgemeta
source-reference macros, no preference