On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:34 PM Robert-André Mauchin <zebo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/21 5:55 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > the composes more reliable if we change the mechanism for kicking off
> > rebuilds. I'm soliciting feedback to help identify potential issues
> > with this proposed approach.
> >

> How do you handle packages that need bootstrapping? Several Go packages
> must be built in a certain order with bootstrapping on, on a virgin
> branch. It takes auite a lot of time.

Would they not be able to build atop the Fedora versions that have
already been bootstrapped? I'm not sure I understand the situation.

Most bootstrapping scenarios that I'm aware of are essentially:

PackageB needs an updated PackageA to build, but PackageA also needs
an updated PackageB to build. PackageA can be bootstrapped (by
building it in some special manner, such as from a prebuilt upstream
binary), allowing PackageB to be built and then rebuilding PackageA
with the updated PackageB.

In the scenario I'm discussing, we would take those final PackageA and
PackageB from Fedora and have them in the buildroot for the ELN
builds. That would mean that the bootstrap step wouldn't be needed. If
there's a case you know of that this won't work for, I'd really like
to hear it (preferably with real package names).