On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 13:44, Mattia Verga via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Maybe I'm going a little OT, but speaking about hiring someone, as far
> as I understand it seems to me that Fedora project has an annual budget
> that is never fully spent:
>
> https://budget.fedoraproject.org/budget/docs/index.html
>
> I would rather like to see someone hired by Fedora to do full time
> maintenance of core components for our distribution. We rely on freetime
> of coders from the community as well as on RH employees, but the latter
> is mainly for projects where RH is interested in.
> For example, I would like to see a full time developer (or two...)
> running across issues in Bodhi, Pagure, Koji. These are the first three
> core components that come to my mind, but sure there are more which
> don't have enough care because they're not in the primary interest of RH.

One  issue is that funding for Fedora is not fully fungible due to
various countries' tax and income laws. It can be spent on events, and
services but it can rarely be spent on paying for a coder as that
quickly falls under employment and various finance laws. [Money for
Fedora is basically Red Hat's money as Fedora is not a legally
distinct organization. This is also a reason why Fedora can't accept
monetary donations.] In order for a person to be paid by this money,
there has to be some sort of contract between them and Red Hat with
all the legal and associated filings.

> While Pagure and Koji both have valid contributors and quite clear
> primary maintainers, we lack a clear maintainer for Bodhi. I've been
> trying to fix some easy bugs every now and then, but I still think we
> need a professional coder responsible which lay out the development path
> and with the time to investigate deeper on longstanding bugs. If Fedora
> project has some money to spend, I would recommend spending them in this.

I believe the money that Miroslav is talking about is more about say
'me' paying 'X' to do that work versus 'Red Hat' paying 'X' to do that
work.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in