On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 09:56:43AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:38 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm far less convinced FESCo formally voting is beneficial
> > for (uncontroversial) self-contained changes, where the goal
> > of the maintainer is largely just to make sure people have
> > awareness of what's coming down the pipe.
> >

> It can seem like that at first glance and then turn out to not be so.
> That was the case with the debuginfod Change[1]. I was not the one
> that slowed that Change down, in fact I was *very* enthusiastic about
> it. However, Zbigniew had concerns[1] that led to further development
> upstream that made a better feature overall for when it was finally
> approved.
>
> [0]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DebuginfodByDefault
> [1]: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2597#comment-728404

The concerns Zbigniew mentions there deserved answers. Did those
answers need to be obtained in a formal interactive FESCo meeting,
as opposed to being handled on fedora-devel. The information and
discussion about the change ended up split across fedora-devel,
the meeting IRC logs, and the pagure ticket. Just feels like an
uncessary complication to me looking in, and makes it harder to
follow the discussion after the fact due to the split of forums.

> > Is there scope for having self-contained changes implicitly
> > approved 2 weeks after being posted to Fedora devel list
> > in absence of controversy ? In that 2 week period, if someone
> > raises an objection that does not get a satisfactorily resolved
> > through discussion, they could raise an explicit request for a
> > FESCo vote on the change as a last resort.
> >

> We lazy approve after three weeks of no objections from the time it
> was posted to the list. This is true for both system-wide and
> self-contained changes.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding what you mean by lazy approved ? My
understanding was that everything ends up with a formal FESCo
ticket created from the moment the change is published and thus
gets voted on ?

Regards,
Daniel