On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 7:51 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After seeing this discussion I got curious, and I noticed that one can build
> an iso of pcmemtest that is directly bootable.  No OS or additional
> bootloader needed.
>
> So if someone needs to test their hardware, the easiest thing to do today
> would be to put the iso on a flash drive (or even a cdrom) and boot it from
> there.

I'm definitely not attached to keeping things the same. The bios
memtest86+ is still these days installed to /boot but there hasn't
been a menu entry for it for a very long time; in fact maybe it was
only ever on netintall or dvd images? I can't remember that far back
:P

I guess the gotcha with a single boot image, is it can be difficult to
boot BIOS and UEFI from a USB stick (treated by firmware as a hard
drive) and from optical. We're doing this today with the common Fedora
desktop and server ISO images, created by xorriso which has an ISO
hybrid option that bakes into the ISO 9660 image, two El Torito
images. One for UEFI and one for BIOS. That's because, hilariously,
natively booting ISO 9660 or UDF is not a thing that was added to the
UEFI spec.

But if this image works consistently, and we don't sneeze, it should
be OK? What's this... I'm now hearing a virtual convo about an S word
among the Adam Williamson and Kamil Paral who live in my head...

--
Chris Murphy